Kid's Book Revisions Workshops:
What's Coming Up and What We Offer
Kids Book Revisions has a number of workshop and retreat programs available, with different topics and workshop lengths.
We are local for workshops in the NY/NJ/CT/MA area and do a working retreat every summer at the Highlights Foundation near Honesdale, PA, but we also travel--see below for some options. We are now taking bookings for 2018 and 2019. If you want to set up a retreat or workshop in your area, you can use our cost estimator page to get a sense of what a one- or two-day workshop in your area would cost.
Here are examples of some events we have given in the past: 1-day workshops, such as "Revising and Re-Imagining Your Picture Book Manuscript," Eric Carle Museum, Amherst, MA, March 2014; 2-day mini-retreats, given with the West/Central NY SCBWI in Syracuse in October 2017; 3-hour intensives, such as "Revising Your YA or MG Novel," LA SCBWI conference, August 2016; 4-day Revision Retreat, held annually since 2012 at the Highlights Foundation, near Honesdale, PA.
Recording and materials from "The Unwritten: What You Don't Say When Writing a Picture Book"--our free preview of our picture book revision webinar class: The Unwritten--video recording, and here are the handouts and a transcript.
Read what people say about our workshops and webinars.
Additional bookings to be posted when confirmed.
- January 23: How Picture Books Work--free online workshop. New introduction and preview to our PB webinar. Registration is open!
- February 2-4: National SCBWI winter conference in New York City. 2.5 hour masterclass, "A Practical Introduction to the Mysteries of Line-Editing."
- February 9 and 10: Western WA SCBWI in Seattle. 4-hour Editing without an Editor workshop.
- February 27, March 6, 20, and 27, April 10 and 17: Revising and Re-Imagining a Picture Book--online workshop. Registration is open! Make-up date May 8.
- March 3: Central Ohio SCBWI in Columbus. All-day Editing without an Editor workshop and critiques or consultations.
- June 2 and 3: Harold teaches a workshop on Line-Editing at the NJ SCBWI conference. Details and registration to come.
- June-July: Summer School on Revising and Re-Imagining Your Novel or Chapter Book.
- August 3-7: KBR Revision Retreat at the Highlights Foundation in the Poconos. Registration is open.
- October 12-14: West/Central NY SCBWI Revision Mini-Retreat. Runs Friday evening through Sunday afternoon, and includes presentations, hands-on exercises, and critique group/writing time. Details to come.
Formats Available for Workshops:
- 2 to 4-hour mini-workshops, aka "intensives," which can stand alone or fit into a conference schedule.
- 1 to 3-day workshops (8-hour days).
- 2-day to 1-week working retreats, with sessions in the mornings or evenings, writing time in afternoons.
We can also custom-build a workshop or retreat on request, and can bring in other editors and agents, or experts in other areas (marketing, social media, etc.) as needed.
- Editing without an Editor (sample schedule, from our Westport series): an overview for writers across all genres.
- Revising Your Picture Book/MG Novel/YA Novel/Nonfiction: Dig into a specific manuscript with two experienced editors.
- Critique Group Recharge: New workshop for critique groups--we come to you.
- Additional topics under development, including Writing Nonfiction for Fiction Writers.
Kid's Book Revisions Home Page