Kid's Book Revisions:
Kids Book Revisions has a number of workshop and retreat programs available, with different topics and workshop lengths.
We are local for workshops in the NY/NJ/CT/MA area and do a working retreat every summer at the Highlights Foundation near Honesdale, PA, but we also travel--see below for some options. We are now taking bookings for 2017 and 2018. If you want to set up a retreat or workshop in your area, you can use our cost estimator page to get a sense of what a one- or two-day workshop in your area would cost.
Here are examples of some events we have given, to show what we can do: 1-day workshops, such as "Revising and Re-Imagining Your Picture Book Manuscript," Eric Carle Museum, Amherst, MA, March 2014; 3-hour intensives, such as "Revising Your YA or MG Novel," LA SCBWI conference, August 2016; 4-day Revision Retreat, held annually since 2012 at the Highlights Foundation, near Honesdale, PA; Revising and Reshaping Your Novel or Chapter Book Webinar, one hour/week in October and November 2016.
Free "sample" of an online session: Reading Like an Editor--video recording: skip to 8:15 to get past set-up, or to 19:00 to start after the overall course introduction.
Read what people say about our workshops and webinars.
Additional bookings to be posted when confirmed.
- January 25: The Unwritten: What You Don't Say When Writing a Picture Book, a free preview webinar to our PB revision webinar.
February 15-April 5: Revising and Re-Imagining Your Picture Book Manuscript, a weekly webinar class.Direct link to registration page.
March 21-24: KBR Alumni Retreat at the Highlights Foundation.
April 21-23: New England SCBWI, Springfield MA. "Revising Your Picture Book Manuscript."
August 5-9: Kid's Book Revision Retreat, at the Highlights Foundation outside Honesdale, PA. Registration is open!
October 4-8: Marin County (CA) Writing Retreat. Details to come.
October 18-20: West Central NY SCBWI Weekend Retreat. Details to come.
Formats Available for Workshops:
- 2 to 4-hour mini-workshops, aka "intensives," which can stand alone or fit into a conference schedule.
- 1 to 3-day workshops (8-hour days).
- 3-day to 1-week working retreats, with sessions in the morning only, writing time in afternoons.
We can also custom-build a workshop or retreat on request, and can bring in other editors and agents, or experts in other areas (marketing, social media, etc.) as needed.
- Editing without an Editor (sample schedule, from our Westport series): an overview for writers across all genres.
- Revising Your Picture Book/MG Novel/YA Novel/Nonfiction: Dig into a specific manuscript with two experienced editors.
- Critique Group Recharge: New workshop for critique groups--we come to you.
- Additional topics under development, including Writing Nonfiction for Fiction Writers.
Kid's Book Revisions Home Page